How to Live With Uncertainty

Disbelief Induced Inertia 

It can be agonizing to exist with a dual sense of desiring to do something and of feeling zero zeal to pick oneself to do anything. In such moments we exist in a cocoon of inertia—a tendency to do nothing. And in these moments of doing nothing, we are painfully aware of the almost tyrannical will of others, who are oblivious of (and sometimes uninterested in) our desire, that we do something. 


Much of who we are is judged by what we do. And when actions tend not to fall through from our lives others blind to the burning desires we feel can be quick to point out our ineptitude. Sometimes they call us lazy. To avoid being perceived as what we are not—lazy—we might resort to different tactics to get ourselves to do: We might bribe ourselves, say to ourselves, 'get up and write the report, and after doing so we'll go eat ice cream.’ Or we might threaten ourselves, say to ourselves, 'get up and go and write that report this instant, or else!’ But our tactics fail, often not because we are inept (0r lazy) but because of a disbelief that anything we do will carry us from where we are—perhaps on our comfortable bed on a cool morning—through the most times tedious activities demanded by getting (remarkable) things done, to a wonderful place of satisfaction.




Yet it lies within our capacity to arrest our agony from existing with a dual sense of desiring to do something and of feeling zero zeal to do anything. 


First we can start off from the obvious fact that we are prone to amplifying the attention others place on us. More often than not, 'others' whom we are so prone to hand our state of mind are too busy with their lives. They have everything but us in their minds. Because the contents of the mind of others lies beyond our reach, we can arrest our agony by leaving them out of ours. 


And because satisfaction in our lives is a direct result of the nature of the activities we engage, we can arrest our agony by developing an awareness of the features which directly feed our tendency to do nothing. 


This tendency, as described in a recent post, can be called Inertia. And as highlighted in the post, three features inform the makeup of this form of inertia:

  1. Indecision – an inability to choose which activity to pay attention to and which are worthy of neglect
  2. Disbelief – the uncertainty that an activity will lead to remarkable end.
  3. Environment – the quality of internal and external space we occupy.
This BasicPulse entry will treat the second of the three features: Disbelief. 

A False Remedy 


We might find ourselves with a (daunting) task at hand—say raise  ₦100,000 to sponsor an ad campaign or come up with an outline for a book project which has its deadline looming close. All our desire to carry on with the task culminates in a kind of paralysis, because we are clueless about how to go about moving forward with the task. We become arrested and placed into a cocoon of inertia by the disbelief that the path of actions we come up with (or have at our disposal) will take us from where we are (with the task) to where want to be (with a completion of the task). Our tendency to do nothing rises out of the uncertainty that anything we do will take us to where we ought (and want) to be. 


One of the features about uncertainty is that it creates fertile ground for angst, an agonizing existential kind of anxiety which tends to highlight everything we can do while spelling out nothing to do. 


To combat our agony, make our lives angst free, and in so doing imbue our life with certainty and meaning and purpose we might come up with checkmarks and goals and milestones in a match towards getting (remarkable) things done. The promise which seduces us is that breaking our remarkable ends into doable chunks and setting out to do them will clear the cloud of uncertainty, lift the feelings of angst and combat our agonizing tendency to do nothing. 


But it takes modest achievements and a truck load of testimonies from achievers to realize coming up with checkmarks and reaching milestone does nothing to dispel certain existential agonies. 

  • Tim Ferriss in 4HWW, for example, describes "making more that $40,000 per month instead of per year" yet goes on to describe this period of his life by saying, "the problem is that I hate my life."
  • In my own life, to name another example, I was awarded for outstanding performance during a yearlong internship in a top-tier petrochemical firm and absorbed by the company to continue in a full time position. Also, I founded a blog which allows me create written content that in modest ways touch the lives of its readers. Yet I sometimes find myself gripped by a vague sense of not enough, that I should be doing more, being more; that I should be more productive.
  • David Brooks, author of The Road To Character, explains that he "achieved far more career success than he ever thought', only to discover that 'the big fallacy of modern life is that career success leads to fulfilment."
From these examples, we can take away one useful insight: A distinction exists between our productive lives and the rest of our lives. As we will see, realizing the distinction can arrest our agony resulting from disbelief induced inertia. 




A Misguided View of (The Paradigm of) Productivity 


Being able to make $40,000 per month, as Tim Ferriss attests, will not guarantee love of life, and expecting productive ends of this kind to eradicate particular existential agonies is a doomed project. We can surmise that the way we view productivity can benefit from a reframing of perspective, which can offer us of a better view of the place of productivity in our lives. 


To gain proper perspective we must turn to a concept called paradigms.


Stephen Covey in his bestselling book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, describes a paradigm as the way we 'see' the world, not in a visual sense but in the sense of perceiving, understanding and interpreting. He goes on to propose that, our paradigms, the way(s) we see the world, are the determinants of who we are and how we behave. As he succinctly puts it, 'seeing' is 'being'.


Seeing life through the lens of productivity dictates that we act out every waking moment as an opportunity to produce, sometimes with vague descriptions (or awareness) of what it is we are to produce. This paradigm of productivity convolutes our perception of reality, in that much of what makes up the totality of life cannot be reduced into systems of productivity. We cannot as an example create a system which produces an accurate depiction of our future. The convolution created by placing productivity as the way we see life results in agony, which in turn arrests our tendency to devote ourselves to activities. It feeds ours tendency to do nothing. 


To combat agony we must shift the way we see productivity and put our productive lives in proper perspective. 


We Live in the Post-Productivity World 


A shift from the paradigm of productivity isn't novel. In 2011 Cal Newport penned an article describing a reason for the shift. In the article titled Welcome to the Post-Productivity World, Cal posited there is a distinction between being a disciple of productivity and having a work philosophy. We can have more enriching lives by having a work philosophy. A useful work philosophy is one founded on an awareness of the big picture, the totality of (living) life. 


The paradigm of productivity is misguided because it presents a myopic view of the totality of living life, where all that will distil within us a sense of unquestionable satisfaction is production through the accomplishment of remarkable ends. 


Productivity, of course, is important. The problem with the paradigm of productivity isn't that it presents an ineffective way of dealing with life and the problems life throws at us, it is that it keep us blind to much of what life is about. Outside its proper place thinking in terms productivity can have counterproductive effects. 




An Alternative View: The Paradigm of Functionality 


An awareness of what life is about, the big picture, takes in the requirement for what is needed for being productive: Our functionality. We say something is functional if it works, if it does what it is supposed to do. And the function of a (productive) person is to live. 


To bring clarity to the distinction between productivity and functionality it is helpful to note: The question posed by productivity is are you producing. And the question posed by the functionality is are you functioning. 


Now, this might seem anything but a big distinction at first, but it is critical. It changes everything—from what we consider work, to how we approach working, to how we plan and prioritize, to how we entertain possibilities and separate realities we brew from such possibilities into the important and the unimportant. The biggest impact of this reframe is on our mind-set. It shifts us from being people (trapped in a cocoon of inertia) deciding whether or not do something (which we are technically always doing) to being people biased towards the specific in matters of what to do, what to stop doing and what to do instead. It flips us from anxious to relaxed, from uncertain to curious—and that’s a mighty difference. 


The delivery of specificity the distinction creates cannot be overemphasized, because it is specificity which eradicates uncertainties and the subsequent agonizing existential kind of anxiety uncertainty brews. Swiss philosopher, Alain de Botton, said '[an agonizing existential kind of] anxiety is a garbled signal about what a part of us perceives as a danger. It both asks for worry while not clearly revealing the roots of its concerns.' We can arrest our agony by entertaining productivity only in areas of the specific. Specificity starves agony rising from disbelief induced inertia. 


Conclusion 


When we find ourselves with a dual sense of desiring to do something and of feeling zero zeal to do anything we can turn our attention to something specific: The lens through which we use to see the world, our paradigms. The wrong lens can be difference between unwarranted agony and the absence of it. 


A misguided view of the place of productivity in our lives can result in an agonizing existential kind of anxiety. We can shift our perspective to one which puts productivity in its proper place. We can adopt perspectives which account for the totality of life. We can look at life through the lens of (our) functionality. And the function of a (productive) person is to live. 


Our default position can be to live first, because how well we live determines how well we produce. Sometimes simply acknowledging the belief that we are alive is the most productive thing we can do—even when our acknowledging is done on our comfortable bed on a cool lazy morning. 

Enjoy!





............................................ 
Post Author: P. W. Uduk 
 ............................................ 

Photo Sources



Thank you for reading this piece on BasicPulse. Do you have questions, suggestions or comments? Please, leave them in the comment section below. Remember to leave your email in the subscription box below to get updates straight in your inbox. Be remarkable!

75 comments:

  1. Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a
    community in the same niche. Your blog provided us
    beneficial information to work on. You have done a extraordinary job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information. Lucky me I found your website
    by chance (stumbleupon). I've book-marked it for later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for this fantastic post, I am glad I found
    this web site on yahoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the Musically Followers are one hundred% free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ꮋi i amm kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this ρaragrapһ i thuought
    і c᧐uⅼd alsо make cοmment due to this ɡood
    post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your web site
    is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you've on this
    blog. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject.

    Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles.
    You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched all over the
    place and simply could not come across. What an ideal website.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings! Very helpful advice within this article! It's the little changes that make the greatest
    changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. excellent job. I did not imagine this. This is a fantastic story.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, you have pointed out some great points, I besides
    think this is a very good website.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvelous, what a webpage it is! This website gives useful facts to us, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I think your website might be having browser
    compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Opera, it looks fine but
    when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that,
    wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Аfter goin ᧐ver a few of the articles on yoᥙr web site,
    I trսly liқе your way of blogging. I saved it to myy bookmark website list ɑnd will be checking
    bacҝ soon. Рlease check oսt mү web site аs well ɑnd let me know your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice post. I jhst stumbled upon your weblog and wwnted to say that I've truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    After all I'll bee subscribing to your feed and I hope you write agbain vsry soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Howdy! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment
    form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm
    having difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is amazing, nice written and come with almost all vital infos.
    I'd like to peer more posts like this .

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've learn some just right stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprise how a lot effort you put to create any such excellent informative website.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is really a great and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got this web page from my pal who informed me concerning this site and at
    the moment this time I am visiting this site and reading very informative articles or reviews at this place.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so cool! I don't suppose I have read a single thing like this before.
    So great to discover another person with a few original thoughts
    on this topic. Seriously.. thank you for starting this
    up. This site is one thing that is needed on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am actually grateful to the owner of this website who has shared this
    impressive post at at this place.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What's up, after reading this remarkable article i
    am also cheerful to share my experience here with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm gone to inform my little brother, that he should also visit this weblog on regular basis to
    take updated from hottest news update.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your site?
    My blog site is in the exact same niche as yours and my users would definitely benefit from
    some of the information you provide here. Please let me
    know if this okay with you. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful site you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any
    user discussion forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article?

    I'd really like to be a part of online community where
    I can get responses from other experienced people that share the same interest.

    If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading your blog posts.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same subjects?
    Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful work! This is the type of info that are meant to be shared around the internet.
    Disgrace on Google for not positioning this submit
    upper! Come on over and seek advice from my website . Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Please let me know if you're looking for a article writer for your
    blog. You have some really great articles and I think I would be a good
    asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absolutely love
    to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.

    Please send me an email if interested. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd most certainly donate to this fantastic blog!

    I guess for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to
    my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will share this site with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the layout
    of your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content
    so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot
    of text for only having one or 2 images. Maybe you could space it out better?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am
    impressed! Very useful information particularly the last part :
    ) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a very long
    time. Thank you and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting
    my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get
    setup? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a
    pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100% certain. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I
    came to look it over. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm book-marking
    and will be tweeting this to my followers! Superb blog and great design and style.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for your site post. Brown and I have already been saving for just a new ebook
    on this topic and your blog post has made people like
    us to save money. Your notions really resolved all
    our inquiries. In fact, over what we had acknowledged prior
    to when we discovered your fantastic blog. My spouse and i no longer
    have doubts plus a troubled mind because you
    have clearly attended to each of our needs here. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  34. Can I simply say what a relief to discover a person that
    really knows what they are talking about on the internet.
    You definitely realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    A lot more people have to read this and understand this side of your story.
    I was surprised that you're not more popular since you most certainly possess the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey are using Wordpress for your site platform?
    I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and set up my own. Do you need any html coding knowledge
    to make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Everything is very open with a really clear description of the issues.
    It was really informative. Your website is extremely helpful.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Terrific work! That is the kind of info that are
    meant to be shared across the net. Disgrace on Google
    for no longer positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my
    site . Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Highly descriptive post, I liked that a lot. Will there be a part 2?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your post. I like to write a little comment to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I
    am waiting for your next write ups thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks very interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete
  43. We stumbled over here coming from a different web
    address and thought I might as well check things out.
    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great work! That is the type of info that should be shared around the internet.
    Shame on the seek engines for now not positioning this publish upper!
    Come on over and consult with my website . Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this article plus the rest
    of the site is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I know this web site gives quality dependent articles
    or reviews and other data, is there any other website which presents
    these things in quality?

    ReplyDelete
  47. As soon as I observed this site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Everything is very open with a very clear explanation of the
    challenges. It was truly informative. Your site is very useful.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Howdy would you mind letting me know which web host you're utilizing?
    I've loaded your blog in 3 completely different internet
    browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
    Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a reasonable price?
    Kudos, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  50. What's up, I read your blogs like every week.
    Your story-telling style is witty, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I have been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or weblog
    posts in this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this website.

    Studying this information So i am satisfied to show that
    I've a very just right uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed.
    I most indubitably will make sure to do not forget this website and
    provides it a glance regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
    I'm hoping to start my own blog soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid
    option? There are so many options out there that I'm completely overwhelmed ..
    Any suggestions? Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best advice I heard (and followed with this blog): Just start.

      Delete
  53. I blog quite often and I seriously appreciate yiur content.
    This article hhas truly peaked my interest.

    I will book mark your website and keep checking ffor new information about once a week.
    I subscribed to your Feed too.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I'm excited to discover this web site. I need to to thank you for your time for this wonderful read!!
    I definitely savored every little bit of it and i also have you saved to fav to see new information in your website.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Exceptional post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic?
    I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  56. First of all I would like to say superb blog! I had a
    quick question which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your head before writing.

    I've had a difficult time clearing my mind in getting my ideas
    out. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any
    suggestions or tips? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just write. Place one word after the next and continue, regardless of whether the words makes sense or do not.

      Delete
  57. Very good post! We are linking to this great post on our website.
    Keep up the good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I could not refrain from commenting. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  59. It's perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is
    time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips.
    Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I wish to read even more things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  60. I enjoy reading an article that will make men and women think.
    Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I'm amazed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that's both educative and amusing, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail
    on the head. The problem is something that too few people are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I stumbled across this during my search for something relating to this.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Woah! I'm really enjoying the template/theme of this website.
    It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's tough
    to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and visual appeal.
    I must say that you've done a superb job with this.
    Additionally, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Safari.

    Excellent Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  63. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the layout of your
    website? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect
    with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text
    for only having one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hello my friend! I want to say that this post is amazing, nice
    written and include almost all important infos. I would like to look more
    posts like this .

    ReplyDelete
  65. Appreciate the recommendation. Let me try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  66. I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills and also
    with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid
    theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice
    quality writing, it's rare to see a great blog like this one
    nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Spot on with this write-up, I honestly feel this site needs a lot
    more attention. I'll probably be returning to see more, thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  68. You should be a part of a contest for one of the highest quality blogs online.
    I'm going to recommend this website!

    ReplyDelete
  69. An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who has been doing a little homework on this.
    And he in fact ordered me breakfast due to the fact
    that I discovered it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this....
    Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending the time to
    talk about this subject here on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.I will ensure
    that I bookmark your blog and will come back sometime soon.
    I want to encourage continue your great writing,
    have a nice morning!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment.

 

Behind The Scene

BasicPulse is written by Paul Uduk.


If you are new to the blog, a good place to start is the description page and a list of the six essential ideas held on the blog.

Join Our Readers

Get Posts in Your Inbox

Featured post

On Being Remarkable